Monday, June 6, 2011

My Summer Reading List

Oh how I love to read! I cannot tell you how much I love to hold a book in my hand, to feel the pages, to smell them even. I am a traditionalist, no kindle or nook for me, I need to have the book in my hand, I like to use bookmarks. The best thing about the summer is unlimited trips to the library, occasional trips to Barnes and Noble, and uninterrupted time to lounge around on my couch, reading. That is, an attempt at uninterrupted time laying about, reading. I have been writing down titles of books that I have seen at Target or that someone has mentioned to me or that Autumn/Chelsea/Taggart are reading or that I've been waiting ever so patiently for the sequel to be released, or they are classics I just haven't ever read, on little scraps or bits of paper or sticky notes all over my house....and now as I gather them up, (I am sure I will find more) I have an official summer reading list. It is one week into my summer vacation and I have read 3....only 11 to go!

1. Witch and Wizard by James Patterson
2. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
3. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
4. A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
5. The Middle of Somewhere by JB Cheaney
6. The Forgotten Locket by Lisa Mangum
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
8. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
9. Animal Farm by George Orwell
10. Your Handwriting Can Change Your Life by Yimala Rogers
11. Matched by Ally Condie
12. Love, Aubrey by Suzanee Le Fleur
13. Anthem by Ayn Rand
14. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I love your summer reading list. Matched has been on my list also for a while and I can not seem to get to it. I just finished Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm (one of the Newbery Honor books for this year). I absolutely loved it and recommend it. It just happens to have a summertime feel to it. We just gave Faith's School Librarian Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool (Newbery Winner for this year). Although I haven't read it, she finished it in one weekend and said it was better than her all time favorite Charlotte's Web. I thought I would never like e-readers either but I recently downloaded Kindle for PC onto our laptop and it is very easy to sit in bed and read with the laptop. I think I could get used to an e-reader now although I don't see myself getting one too soon. Great to hear from you! Let the summer reading begin :)
    ~ Lauri Chandler
    www.bookblogfun.doodlekit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of those I have never heard of. However, To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favorites. Please let us know if any of these end up on your favorite list. I am hoping to read 5 books this summer and that is a big goal for me! I really want to read The Undaunted by by Gerald Lund. Holding a new baby provides opportunities to sit and read, Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete